In the morning, our batteries are empty. To refuel energy, we first have to have a big breakfast, or as the proverb says, “like a king.” However, many people do not take the time for a rich breakfast. Coffee is quickly gulped down while standing, and there’s not enough time for solid food.
This is a mistake. Because if you deny your stomach a varied meal in the morning, you will feel an even greater appetite in the afternoon and evening. The craving for sweet or salty snacks in between is also greater. Egg-based meals are recommended for a lively start to the day as they stimulate the metabolism.
Emphasize on complex carbohydrates
Eggs are a true power supplier and therefore highly recommended. They provide a lot of protein, vitamins, and minerals that are important for the body. Milk and soy products, cottage cheese, yogurt, and cheese also have a high protein content and can also be an important source of energy.
It is also advisable to emphasize on complex carbohydrates. These ensure that the feeling of fullness lasts longer as they release the contained glucose slowly into the bloodstream. This avoids cravings. Examples of dishes with complex carbohydrates are whole grain bread or oatmeal.
Prefer unsaturated fats
Fat is found in almost all breakfast foods. It is important to pay attention to the type of fat. It is best to go for simple or polyunsaturated fats. These have an anti-inflammatory effect and lower the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Examples of simple unsaturated fats can be found in nuts, sunflower seeds, or avocado. On the other hand, getting polyunsaturated fatty acids in the morning can be difficult: they are mainly found in fish such as mackerel or herring.
The golden rule
According to the German Society for Nutrition (DGE), a big breakfast should contain four components:
- A grain product like bread or cereal (preferably whole grain)
- A dairy product like yogurt or cheese
- Fruit or raw vegetables
- A drink, herbal tea, or coffee
- By following these four rules, you should have enough energy for the day and avoid cravings.
The worst mistakes at breakfast
- Eating too late: It’s best for the metabolism to eat as soon as possible.
- Too little protein: A typical mistake is that we eat too little protein for breakfast.
- Too much sugar: Pancakes with maple syrup or waffles with powdered sugar are very popular, but a lot of unhealthy sugar is consumed in the morning.
- What many people are not aware of: even the beloved Latte Macchiato in the morning contains some calories..